In Part I of our Erectile Dysfunction Info Series, we discussed the 6 anatomical steps that take place to achieve a healthy erection. Now, let’s discuss some risk factors that can inhibit healthy sexual function in MEN, thus causing Erectile Dysfunction (ED).
Even though ED can potentially have MANY causes, the issue is typically related to blood flow, nerve supply, and hormones. Below are 7 common causes of ED, both physical and psychological (though 90% of cases are physical), based on past studies:
- Vascular diseases – These account for nearly 50% of all Erectile Dysfunction cases in MEN older than 50 years old. The most common diseases that can contribute to ED are atherosclerosis, peripheral vascular disease, diabetes, MS, and arterial hypertension (high blood pressure in the arteries from the heart to the lungs).
- Trauma to the pelvic area or spinal cord – Becoming injured in that particular area or not receiving a regular blood flow due to inactivity (i.e. sedentary jobs, lounging on the couch for long periods of time, etc.) can cause ED. Also, radiation therapy in the pelvic region can result in ED.
- Prescription drugs – Medication used for high blood pressure, heart-related issues, diuretics, anxiety treatment, anti-depressants, anticholinergic, peptic ulcer medication, among others, can cause ED.
- Respiratory conditions like sleep apnea and COPD
- Endocrine disorders like hyogonadism (low T) are known to affect libido (sexual drive) and erectile function.
- Penile conditions like Peyronie’s disease and hypospadias
- Psychological causes such as feelings of guilt, fear of intimacy, depression, and severe anxiety.
Other risk factors that will increase the chances of developing vascular disease include tobacco and illicit drug use, high cholesterol and obesity. Combining any number of these risk factors together is how Erectile Dysfunction becomes a problem and should be treated by a physician.
Our main goal at nuYOUth.Club is to optimize men’s health and wellness. If you have questions or concerns about your sexual health, our men’s health experts are eager to help. Call us at (404) 480-5229 to learn more about our Bio-Wellness anti-aging plans for MEN.
In good health,